I learned a LOT about ZINC today. Lets just start with the basics.
Preventive & Therapeutic Use
- you need 15- 30 mg/day
- Wound Healing: take 1 month before and after surgery
- Burns: 50 75 mg/day
- cold prevention/ sore throat: 25-50 mg/day lozenges
- Best Forms: Piccolinate or cirate
- Zinc helps in the following: immune enhancement, prostate support, mascular degeneration, hair, skin and nails, growth retardation, taste smell vision. Alzheimer’s, AIDS, anorexia, diabetes, skin health, immune system, anti- inflamatory, insulin, fertility
Zinc deficiency Symptoms
- slowed growth
- slow sex development
- sensitivity to chemicals
- poor appetite
- loss of taste
- brittle nails
- white spots on nails
- delayed wound healing
- stretch makes
- low immunity
How to Incorporate Zinc in Your Diet
- red meat
- liver meat
- sesame butter (tahini)
- pumpkin seeds
- crab and shrimp
* must be kept in balance with Copper! Mineral are interconnected, balance is required. Zinc must be balanced with copper !!
Ways to find out if you are deficient …
- diet/ activity journal
- Hair Analysis (look for Zn to Cu ratio) ideal 8
- RBC analysis
- Zinc taste test: Can do this at home! We did this today in class.. you need to buy a zinc liquid.
- This is the Zinc Challenge by Designs for Health. You put an ounce in a cup and put it in your mouth. Swish it around until the taste is so bad you have to split it out.
- Describe the taste and how long it takes until you start to taste it.
- Record elapsed time and degree of taste.
- If the taste is weak, or sweet. you are deficient. If you taste bad right away you are NOT!!
- Let me know how it goes! It took me 4 seconds until i tasted something awful!