(Gluten and Dairy Free!)
If you enjoy chocolate, but still want to be healthy, this is a awesome dessert! This is also a wonderful blood sugar balancing treat! This mousse is filled with “good fat” (avocado and coconut), which helps to slow the absorption of the sugar into the blood stream.
Ingredients: (these are not set in stone, taste and add to your personal palate!)
- 3 avocados
- 5 T raw cocoa powder
- 1 T cinnamon
- 3 T coconut milk (add more to your desired consistency)
- 4 T pure maple syrup, or honey ( add more if you like sweet)
- 3 dates
- 1 T natural vanilla extract
- Remove the seed from the avocado, scoop out the avocado into the food processor (or blender).
- Add the coconut milk, dates, maple syrup, cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon and blend.
- Add more coconut milk to your desired consistency.
- Continue to blend until smooth.
- Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes and serve. (You can even freeze it for a cool and refreshing frozen pudding, or make it thinner for an awesome frosting alternative.)
- Top with chia seeds, sea salt, nuts, shredded coconut, fresh berries and fruit!
- May even add to a nut pie crust !!!
Pure maple syrup: a natural sweetener that is filled with minerals such as manganese and the antioxidant zinc. Both manganese and zinc are crucial to supporting the immune system!
Raw cocoa: raw cacao seems to be the #1 source of magnesium of any food. This is likely the primary reason women crave chocolate during the menstrual cycle. Magnesium balances brain chemistry, builds strong bones, and combats depression. Magnesium is the most deficient major mineral on the Standard American Diet (SAD); over 80% of Americans are chronically deficient in Magnesium! Scientific studies of the effects of dark chocolate indicate that it stimulates the release of endorphins in the human body. As a result, dark chocolate may have an anti-depressant effect. The Mayo Clinic says other studies suggest the antioxidants in dark chocolate help to reduce high blood pressure and improve circulation.