Happy Spring Everyone! I am about to complete my holistic nutrition program and am doing some detoxing to rid the winter blues away!! I thought I would share some information and guidelines that I have been following throughout the last week!! Please feel free to contact me for guidance!
Spring is here, which means: sunshine, playing outside, the beach, less clothing, longer lit hours of the day, strawberries, asparagus and the list goes on…. Why not start this new season out by getting rid of some toxins too!! They’ve most likely built up over the winter. Richer foods, cold nights, less fresh vegetables and fruits, lowered immunity, and lack of sunshine — all contribute to a general feeling of stagnant and heavy energy. Toxins get stuck in any extra insulation we may have accumulated over the colder months. So now seems to be the perfect time to transition, not only to warmer weather, but to a lighter and brighter you!
Spring is a wonderful time for a deep cleanse, not just to lose extra lbs, but to get brighter skin, look younger, and most importantly feel better. Here are some simple tips to get your spring detox started without doing a major juice fast or cleanse!
1. Move that bod. Yoga, running, walking, swimming, biking, surfing, hiking, playing with your kids, having a dance party, deep cleaning the house; do whatever you can to move your body in as many ways as possible. Seriously, anything you can do to vary the way your body moves and stretches is going to stimulate the lymph system and literally wring out your internal organs. Toxins are released through body fluid, and that includes sweat. So go ahead and sprint, climb, jump, have sex, whatever makes you use your muscles and heart and produces some cleansing sweat. Exercise also boosts your mood, which makes you want to move even more; so exercise in any form is definitely at the top of the list!
2. Breathe. While it’s important to move around, it’s also important to be still. Cleansing the body also involves cleansing the mind. So take some deep belly breaths. Feel the breath travel down into your belly and maybe even down into your pelvis, your knees and your toes. Then feel it travel all the way back up through the body, using a count of 4-8, if that helps even and steady it out. Inhale fresh oxygen and exhale acidity in the blood (carbon dioxide). If someone were next to you, imagine that they couldn’t tell when you were breathing in and breathing out — that’s how steady and even you want to make each inhale and exhale.
3. Eat fermented foods. Every culture all over the world has always included a form of fermented foods in their diets as a way to help digestion, immunity and vitality. Unpasteurized, fermented foods are full of beneficial bacteria (probiotics), enzymes and lactic acid, which our bodies need for optimal food assimilation. So eat fermented veggies (sauerkraut, kimchee), miso, wheat-free tamari , kombucha, raw pickles, and if you can tolerate dairy, you can incorporate raw yogurt, or raw milk into your spring diet for increased longevity, extra detoxification and lots of alkalizing action.
4. Get some spirulina. And put it in/on everything. It goes with both savory and sweet things (salads, soups, smoothies, puddings, raw treats, chocolate, ice cream, superfood blends, juices, and spice mixes . Why should you be eating lots of spirulina? This powdered algae is one of the highest sources of protein (in both the plant and animal kingdoms). Spirulina contains all eight essential amino acids; is rich in many antioxidants, vitamins and minerals; contains as much iron as red meat; has tons of enzymes and essential fatty GLAs that fight inflammation; helps fight allergies; gives you glowing skin and hair; and is an overall detoxifier and superfood that your body will thank you for consuming in large quantities!
5. Drink one of your meals. Have a shake, smoothie, juice or soup for one of your meals. Ideally it would be breakfast or dinner when your digestion is least strongest. A shake for breakfast eases your body into the day with tons of nutrition (especially if you add spirulina!) and energy, since your body won’t have to immediately start digesting a heavy meal and can be free to power you through your busy day, hydrated and energized. Add healthy fats to your smoothie, soup or juice blend such as coconut butter/milk, almond butter, chia seeds, flax seeds, avocado, or a handful of nuts or seeds. You’ll be satiated for hours until lunch, which is ideal for optimal digestion. If you have a liquid meal at night, you’re freeing your body up while you sleep to boost your immune system, cleanse toxins and repair systems in your body rather than spend that time digesting a heavy evening meal. This is where breakfast gets its name… BREAK- FAST. You are literally breaking your fast, giving your body optimal time to repair and detoxify itself. If you eat/drink your dinner around 7pm, do not have your break-fast until 7 am.. Make sense?
So drink up and clean those toxins out!
ALSO: Another way to detox your body is to do an elimination diet for a few days/weeks. My recommendation is to eliminate processed dairy, gluten, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, processed foods, red meat, soy, peanuts and corn. Eat mostly fresh vegetables, whole non-gluten grains, fruits, nuts, seeds, seaweeds, booster foods, herbals teas, bone broths, and of course drink plenty of good-quality purified or spring water.
For more information on how to help start your detox, or just for some recipes or nutritional information..
email me @ email@example.com or leave me a comment and i would love to work with you !!
Adopted from Kris Carrs Crazy Sexy Cancer site.
Check out Crazy Sexy Cancer: by Kris Carr stage 4 cancer survivor from changing her diet!!